On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Ciaran
McCreesh<ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:29:12 -0700
> Chip Parker <infowo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If this feature, which HAD been documented (in bugzilla and
>> commitlogs) prior to the first RFC for PMS
>
> As I've already explained to you on bugzilla, this is untrue. You're
> confusing user configuration with the tree. PMS has nothing to say
> about user configuration, and nothing is being done to take away the
> feature you're concerned about.
>
> --
> Ciaran McCreesh

This assertion is not only incorrect but asinine.

build paludis # paludis -q apache
palu...@1250977472: [WARNING e.ebuild.configuration.no_names_cache]
The names_cache key is not set in
'/etc/paludis/repositories/gentoo.conf'. You should read the Paludis
documentation and select an appropriate value.

Unhandled exception:
  * In program paludis -q apache:
  * When performing query action from command line:
  * When handling query 'apache':
  * When parsing user package dep spec 'apache':
  * When parsing generic package dep spec 'apache':
  * When disambiguating package name 'apache':
  * When finding all versions in some arbitrary order from packages
matching */apache with filter all matches filtered through all
matches:
  * When finding category names containing package 'apache':
  * When loading names for virtuals repository:
  * When loading virtual packages for repository 'gentoo'
  * When loading profiles '/etc/make.profile' for repository 'gentoo':
  * When using directory '/etc/make.profile':
  * When adding profile directory '/etc/make.profile:
  * When handling parent file for profile directory '/etc/make.profile:
  * When adding profile directory '/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile:
  * When loading specised use file
'/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile/package.use:
  * In file '/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile/package.use':
Error reading file: 'Error reading from fd 3: Is a directory'
(paludis::SafeIFStreamError) (paludis::ConfigFileError)

Additionally, I plan to show very soon that PMS is incorrect in its
requirement that profiles/parent includes only relative paths. This
shows that both the PMS spec and your pet package manager are
incapable of supporting behavior that was considered "correct" by
portage prior to your initial RFC.