On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Ciaran
McCreesh<ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:47:44 -0700
> Chip Parker <infowo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   * When loading profiles '/etc/make.profile' for repository 'gentoo':
>
> /etc/make.profile is user configuration, and beyond the scope of PMS.
>
>> Additionally, I plan to show very soon that PMS is incorrect in its
>> requirement that profiles/parent includes only relative paths.
>
> It is impossible to include absolute paths in repository parent files,
> since there is no guaranteed filesystem location for repositories.
>
> This is now the third time I've had to tell you that user configuration
> is not part of PMS. You're contributing substantially to the amount of
> noise on the subject, wasting the time of everyone who has to read your
> posts and respond to them. Kindly stop.
>
> --
> Ciaran McCreesh

Since you have a habit of ignoring relevant bits of technical
opposition to some of your more insane schemes, I'll cite *again* the
relevant portion.

'/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile/package.use:
 * In file '/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile/package.use':
Error reading file: 'Error reading from fd 3: Is a directory'
(paludis::SafeIFStreamError) (paludis::ConfigFileError)

This is the exact same error that I get either when using the portage
compatibility OR paludis with my profile defined in the only
configuration file type where it is allowed to go (on my system
/etc/paludis/repositories/gentoo-portage.conf), as per the paludis
documentation. (http://paludis.pioto.org/configuration/repositories/e.html)

build managed-portage # paludis -q apache
palu...@1250986148: [WARNING portage_environment.dodgy] Use of Portage
configuration files will lead to sub-optimal performance and loss of
functionality. Full support for Portage configuration formats is not
guaranteed; issues should be reported via trac.

Unhandled exception:
<snip repeat of previous email output>
  * In file '/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile/package.use':
Error reading file: 'Error reading from fd 3: Is a directory'
(paludis::SafeIFStreamError) (paludis::ConfigFileError)

So, Ciaran, if your personal reference implementation of PMS fails
miserably when using this methodology, your argument that I won't be
or "am not" affected by your attempt at changing portage is invalid.
If you'd like to test for yourself, I'll be more than happy to tar up
both my /etc/paludis and /etc/managed-portage for you.

If you can show me a DOCUMENTED configuration option for including a
profiles/ directory for use with paludis that is outside of defining
it in a repositories/*.conf file, and it's tested working, I'll gladly
be quiet and go away. Otherwise, I will continue to loudly object to
you attempting to break my systems.