On 01/16/10 05:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 15 January 2010 20:55:18 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> On 01/16/10 02:45, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> the better idea
>>> though would be to split your stuff along the proper lines.
>>>
>>> cache files = /var/cache/layman/
>>
>> as i said: it's not a "normal" cache.
>
> you said but didnt explain why it's "special".  these are merely caches of
> external overlays and xml caches of overlay lists.

to me cache is something that speeds up operation but does not hold
content of real value.  with layman overlay "checkouts" that's a bit
different.  let's say a host overlay is taken offline: now the layman
copy is my only source.  Page [1] describes /var/cache as
"Long term data which can be regenerated". so to me it's not a cache
because there might be data in there that we cannot regenerate.

sebastian

[1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html