On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Lars Wendler <polynomia...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> It's just impossible to choose perfect location that suits all needs and
>> it should stay user-configurable. So again, do not change this default
>> we no real need another time, please.
>
> /usr/local is a bad choice for an ebuild-generated default. Like I said in bug
> #253725 I don't want ebuilds to mess with stuff in /usr/local. So either
> remove
> this default completely and let the user decide when setting up layman or move
> it around.
> The best suggestions I've read here for now were either /var/layman or
> /usr/layman which I would have no problem with.

/me throws in /usr/share/layman

OTOH, I really think /usr/local/layman is OK as long as it's
runtime-generated and not added by the ebuild. That should satisfy bug
253725, and prevent another painful location move. It also makes sense
from the "/usr/local is user/admin domain" since only running the
layman tool will cause those directories to be created.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team