On E, 2010-03-01 at 13:40 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 03/01/2010 01:24 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> > For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
> > enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
> > dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
> > poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
>
> If you don't want to disable the cups flag globally, you might
> choose to disable for gtk+ by default in profiles/base/package.use
> like this:
>
>   x11-libs/gtk+ -cups
>
> That can be overridden by user's USE=cups setting in make.conf, so
> the only effect would be to break the circular dependency by default.

I don't think there was any such problem until poppler maintainers
decided to unsplit poppler into one big packages with USE flags again
instead of the nice split poppler, poppler-glib (that should have been
named poppler-cairo probably instead), poppler-qt3, poppler-qt4 and
poppler-utils.
I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer