On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:55:03AM +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
wrote:
> 2010-03-19 10:39:07 Petteri Räty napisał(a):
> > On 19.3.2010 11.35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> >

> > > I can add "python2" USE flag (enabled by default) to some versions of
> > > dev-lang/python. With USE="-python2", Python 2 will not be required and
> > > Python 3 will be set as main active version of Python.
> > >

> > You should move to the same scheme that ruby uses. Then users can just
> > disable the python_version_3 or whatever USE_EXPAND scheme is used.
>
> We are waiting on ABI dependencies (and extended support for multiple ABIs in
> package manager), which will provide some needed functionality.

You can do it now w/out waiting on ABI dependencies- I'm not saying
the dependencies would be pretty, but it's doable to get abi level
depdencies per slotting via expanding out the use combinations.

Note that's a step beyond what's in place now- converting over to the
ruby abuse of USE_EXPAND hands over better control to users now w/ the
same dep gurantees.

So... yeah, it's not reliant on EAPI.  An EAPI extension *would* make
it easier, but it's not required to do it (especially since the deps
are already autogenerated to a decent degree).

~harring