Duncan wrote:

++ - I can only add the saying "With freedom comes great responsibility.".

Maybe the python herd could maintain a little status page which covers
informations like:
- Estimated python 3 compatibility in respect to the packages in the
main tree.
- Recommendations if installing makes sense or not (e.g. package X gains
feature Y with python 3).
- Recommendations if setting python 3 as system engine makes already
sense or not.
This way gentoo can give its users the tools needed to make a good
decision if python 3 makes sense on his system. For me as a user I need
more time to study if an action makes sense than implementing said
action (e.g. locally masking python 3 - It would not be the first time
masking a package). If one isn't into python, it gets even more complicated.

J_M