On Friday, January 21, 2011 02:53:57 Dale wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 20, 2011 14:47:24 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> >> Also "angry unhelpful tools"? You're putting words in my mail that
> >> aren't there. I said infra _used_ to be against that; it was obvious
> >> that knowing that I wouldn't just push the issue against their will.
> >
> > no, you didnt.  you said "the Infra team has been against this idea".
> > you didnt say anywhere that infra had changed their mind, and this
> > statement made it sound like basically "screw infra, this is what QA
> > says, and if infra doesnt like it they can figure something out on their
> > own".
>
> Actually, yea he did.  In your quote of him, he said "has been'.  Maybe
> you misread it but that means they had a different view or opinion in
> the past but that has changed.

no, not really.  "has been" is the present perfect continuous tense which
means he is describing something that has continued up to or through $now.
without explicitly stating that infra has changed their minds, my assessment
above stands.

yes, this is a nuance that might be hard for non-native (and probably many
native) english speakers to pick up, but that's why it's even more important
for people to provide more supplementary details so that they arent
misconstrued.
-mike