[Replying again since my mailer messed up my original message.]

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 12:03 -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> Option 3: Unset the variables
>
> This should cause applications to default to locations under ${HOME}.
> This could be done in global scope (unless I am overlooking something
> in PMS), and so it would not require consumers to invoke anything
> explicitly.

Only those applications that properly comply with standards :)

For instance, glib did not start respecting ${HOME} until version 2.36
if I remember right; before that, unset XDG_* variables would cause
g_get_user_cache_dir() etc. to fall back to something under /root/ no
matter where ${HOME} pointed. Which is the main reason why
gnome2_environment_reset() was created.