On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 09:57:01AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 27/05/14 08:34, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Dnia 2014-05-26, o godz. 23:15:34
> > Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
> >
> >> UPower upstream removed sys-power/pm-utils support from 0.99 release
> >> (currently unkeyworded in tree), as in, from current git master.
> > Don't worry. Looking at the past, I can guess this is only a temporary
> > inconvenience. I'm pretty sure upower will be discontinued soon
> > and replaced with systemd-powerd or something :D.
> >

> That's more or less what they already did, they forced eg.
> xfce4-power-manager upstream
> to move the deleted pm-utils code from upower directly to the power
> manager (application)
> itself, likewise for xfce4-session
> Which means applications will now need to duplicate the pm-utils related
> code per application
> basis
> So I expect upower to be more or less dead for everything but systemd
> users, except for
> those upstreams that will actually follow the Xfce path and do the
> duplication
> Yet, still, small portition of the code is still 'generic', so
> xfce4-power-manager will still need
> both, upower, even 0.99, and then pm-utils, depending on the version,
> codepath is selected
>
> This was sort of expected, since pm-utils has been abandoned for ~5
> years now at upstream,
> so nobody is maintaining non-systemd related power management tools
> anymore, and
> falling back to eg. manual laptop-mode-tools, acpid, etc. usage will be
> necessary again,
> it's like going back to 90s for non-systemd users :P

I can't believe I'm reading that from a distro-developer. Basically this
entire thread is "systemd is deprecating the existing tools, so let's dump
them and half our userbase back to the 90s, isn't that a great thing?"

I speak now only so that we don't get told a year later "you had your chance,
too late now." So in that light, what packages besides current pm-utils, do
people who don't use systemd, need to keep running after the putsch? Do any
of them go away as requirements if we don't use *kit? Eg if we don't use
udisks and upower already, but do use udev or eudev (likely what we'll switch
to given current state of play.)

Especially if we don't want to reduplicate a lib across several apps, as you
outlined above; somehow it smells.

Hope your operation went well,
steveL.
--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)