On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 07:35:42 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This probably could have used a news item, as the change impacts both
> stable and ~arch users.

Are we going to write a news item every time systemd acquires a new
mandatory relationship with a reverse dependency?

> They need to do an "emerge -1 sys-power/upower-pm-utils" to actually
> get the new package,

But the user doesn't want systemd; so, then why does the user have to
perform a manual step every time that systemd has an acquirement?

> otherwise portage is going to try to switch them from udev to
> systemd,

There is the problem, the user doesn't want systemd; so, why is Portage
(regardless of a systemd mask) trying to bring it to the user anyway?

> since packages like kdelibs list upower first, and portage
> has no way of knowing that this is a big change.

And this is where you can make Portage smarter.

http://www.funtoo.org/Flavors_and_Mix-ins

We don't have to go through all this if you had a "no-systemd" mix-in,
where you could simply make out the choices in favor of the user
instead of having to document and announce them all over the place.

That mix-in could do something like masking the new upower that
depends on systemd; when doing so, no more blockers all over the place.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D