Staying technical, would say more, but I am already saying more than anyone
would want me to, since most want me to go away...

On Friday, December 9, 2016 5:21:53 PM EST james wrote:

> Been down that path. The exam was not ready a few years ago. I've moved
> on. But I'm just a java hack because the way things are done, it's just
> a voluminous source of ever changing codes and new patches that requires
> a full time attention to be effective. By the time I hack something
> java, it the old unsupported way to do things.

While that literally was the case when I joined, 2006, when generation 2
Gentoo Java eclasses and such were being hashed out. I would revise an ebuild,
commit, things would change, revise, commit, repeat... However things have
been pretty stagnant on the Java front for some time. Very little eclass
changes.

I have made effort to document the eclasses and Java ways of doing things on
Gentoo. Having helped to make the quiz years ago which also could use an
update. Though since I have some disagreements with devs who from time to time
who poke Java stuff. I have pretty much stopped. With recent actions taken
against me on -project, I doubt I will ever resume.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Java_Developer_Guide&action=history
https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?
title=Gentoo_Java_Packing_Policy&action=history

>  I'm fine with using
> canned modules and binaries, I just think gentoo ought offer a secure
> sandbox, VM, container or whatever for java. I do understand the
> concerns so it is frustrating and I just do not have the time to become
> a java whiz, unless writing your own rxtx counts? I built a serial data
> analyzer that sniffs the physical serial interface too, just for
> grins...... actually for a customer.

Java on Gentoo is really not bad, if you are familiar with Java at all.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.