On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:29 AM, Jory A. Pratt <anar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> This is a mess, many systems are setup with portage already on a
> seperate partition for reasons. What advantage does it provide to move
> the tree now after all these years? I have seen nothing more then lets
> do this cause I like the ideal lately and it is getting old, there is no
> benefit that would justify moving the tree or many other changes that
> are being made in Gentoo lately.

1. If you're able to mount /usr/portage from another filesystem, why
would you think it wouldn't work in with /var/cache/portage?
1a. If your system is already installed, why do you think this even
affects you? Did you read?
2. Pretty sure following FHS more closely is something most people
would see as a benefit.