> On 6 Nov 2022, at 08:15, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone.
>
> Arch testing's relying on automation a lot these days.  Not saying
> that's bad, if it improves the state of affairs.  However, I have some
> concerns, based on what I've seen lately.

Thanks for starting this discussion, I think others have felt this way too.

arthurzam, jsmolic, and I are using https://github.com/arthurzam/tattoo.

> So, my questions are:
>
> 1. Is "runtime testing required" field being respected?  Obviously not
> every package can be (sufficiently) tested via FEATURES=test, so we've
> added that fields.  However, if arch testers just ignore it and push
> things stable based on pure build testing...

Not right now. We discussed it on #gentoo-dev maybe 2 months ago
or so but concluded we needed nattka support to fix up our automation.

That had two parts:
1. https://github.com/projg2/nattka/issues/72 &
https://github.com/projg2/nattka/pull/73 (done)
2. https://github.com/arthurzam/tattoo/issues/1 (not done)

> 2. How are kernels being tested?  Given the speed with which new gentoo-
> sources stablereqs are handled, I really feel like "arch testing" there
> means "checking if sources install", and have little to do with working
> kernels.

I usually blacklist gentoo-sources because I can't actually test it, or
if I do stable it, I've tried to run them for real.

For gentoo-kernel, I run src_test.

> 3. How does the automation handle packages that aren't trivially
> installable?  I recall that in the past stablereqs were stalled for
> months without a single comment because automation couldn't figure out
> how to proceed, and nobody bothered reporting a problem.

It doesn't, really. I think at the very least we need to try do world
upgrades after adding the package list to package.accept_keywords,
as stuff like LLVM and GNOME bugs won't work without it (blockers etc).

Best,
sam