Dear all,

A few months ago, I got back to my constraint-based dependency solver for
portage, that I had to leave for a while.
Thanks to Zac Medico, it is now based on portage itself to query the portage
tree, and so the code is far simpler (and far less buggy).
It is on github: https://github.com/gzoumix/pdepa

I still have some work to do on the implementation, and with some colleagues,
we are planning to publish it in a conference, with the related theory.
However, to have relevant information to publish, I need your help, if you
could answer some questions that will come up during testing.
For instance, in all my tests, emerge (during its dependency resolution) always
replaces atoms with the latest version of the pc that matches it, even with all
possible backtracking options being selected
 (I noticed this behavior because emerge failed installing a package such that
the latest corresponding cpv could be installed, while the previous version
could be).
Is it really the default behavior of emerge, and if yes, is there a way to make
emerge consider all matching cpv for an atom?

Thank you!
Michael