Somehow I do not quite agree to that Paul.
Some strange problems could be found by letting people
work gentoo as their first Linux experience.

Your words sound like Gentoo should be an _elite_ (meta-) distribution
and I do not think that's going to do Gentoo any good.

This is a know 'bug' that has been around for many years in the Linux
community.
We should be willing to help people where we can.
Beside, have you ever seen such nice documentation online?

Yes, I tell people that switch from  Windows to use SuSE or Redhat.
I started with Slackware as my first distro. It was hard, but I think it's
the only way
I could get the knowledge I have now.

As long as we don't get stuck because of a certain sence of being a "hard
core linux distro".
I do NOT want this project to bleed to death over such elite feeling.

regards,

Bram