begin  quote
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:01:08 +0200
Jose Gonzalez Gomez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'll bite again :)

>     I think Gentoo could be a good option for corporate use, using
>     some
> of the suggestions that have been mentioned in this thread for
> improving stability and administration of corporate networks. The
> question is: do Gentoo developers want Gentoo to be adopted by the
> masses? Do Gentoo developers want Gentoo in the corporate environment?
> I see a possible money income from this scenarios, I don't have the
> knowledge to make a Gentoo based distribution for corporate
> environments, but I think that someone with such a knowledge could
> make some good money from such a distribution.

Some things I'd like to see,  see this again as personal ramblings and
perhaps more or less something that might be worth looking at, but not
an official Gentoo position, ok?

*)  improved "secure" portage, gpg signing, md5 hash and a generally
improved infrastructure there. (on its way as we speak)

*) improved binary / GRP support, prebuilt binaries with default USE
flags for a system, avaiable and signed, with a feature to download
theese instead of building from source if you choose.

*) merging stage 2 /3 into GRP packages( not completely insane IMO, but
perhaps a bit impractical)

*) simple configuration of alternate GRP address' (for internal network,
make admin make packages and sign, then deply)

*) simplify GRP package building (Documentation mainly)

*) nice partitioneditor on the cd (haven't tried/Checked recently, might
be there)  with a visual display of partitions and capable of resizing
things... including ntfs.

*) kernel autoconfiguration, or "decent default" for a bloated but
functional kernel.

(emerge laptop-config, depends on virtual/linux , perhaps?? )

Well, theese are some thoughts to ease the deployment into more
"corporate" usages.  Documentation on how to do backup and logging
server configurations for machines would also be nice, but thats also
something I'd expect a unix admin to be able to handle on their own.

//Spider
  irate developer

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!