Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:21:30 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

You shouldn't make statements about all MUAs until you have tried all
MUAs. In Sylpheed-claws I can send you a mail directly by selecting Reply
to sender from the menu. I can also set up a default reply address for a
mailing lists folder, so my replies default to the list regardless of the
list settings.

believe me, I have tried and discarded more MUA's than most people. But you are right and I stand corrected on that point. I will argue however that it's the exception rather than the rule. Especially in Windows world where I am unfortunately bound (speech recognition dependent). another troubling point is the use of IMAP. Again most clients do it wrong to so trying to find a client that does IMAP and user interface right is a Sisyphian task.

Using Reply to all is horrible. Not only does it mean you send two copies
to this list, it also means the person you are replying to gets an extra
copy in his/her personal mailbox. direct replies make sense on certain
types of list, but not discussion lists like this. that's why all these
arguments about which setup is intrinsically wrong are a waste of time. It
all depends on the [purpose of the list, and this one is a help and
discussion forums, where the interests of the majority are usually best
served by the replies going to the list.

understood and I mostly agree. It also highlights the fact that folks arguing about the wrong point in the user interface. It's not a problem of the list, it's a problem with the MUA.

--- eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.