On 09/22/10 07:31, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Monday 20 September 2010 16:38:05 Paul Hartman wrote:

I haven't had any crashing or failing to start, but Firefox in Linux
has always been pretty bad in general for me. Slow UI, unusable in NX
(constant screen redraws; Thunderbird does the same thing), network
stalling for MINUTES at a time, slow to load, etc. Other browsers on
the same machine don't suffer any of these problems. I don't use
Firefox as my primary browser because it is so flaky.

That's odd, because on this newish i5 box, which is suffering really
severe responsiveness problems otherwise, FF responds to my commands
smartly.

Firefox for windows is compiled with PGO via ICC which apparently improves performance quite a bit. I believe there are issues when firefox is compiled with GCC via PGO and in any case, there is no support for PGO building of Firefox @ gentoo afaik. I wish I had the time and knowledge to whip up an ebuild that could do the magic to test it out tho.

Any takers ? :P

--
Kind Regards,
Beau Henderson