Apparently, though unproven, at 00:26 on Saturday 23 October 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:52:18 -0500, Dale wrote:
> >> That was what I recalled about the openrc discussion too.  It is coming
> >> but just not sure when.  Me, I'm not switching until it starts getting
> >> closer to that time.  It, like some of the newer versions of portage,
> >> appears to be stable and is used by many people but is not marked
> >> stable yet.  Both of those sort of confuse me sometimes.
> >
> > You're mixing two different definitions of stable. Portage 2.2 is
> > certainly reliable, but it is anything but stable with a new version
> > coming out every day at the moment,.
>
> Well, I run unstable portage here and it seems stable and reliable to
> me.  I know they are adding things and fixing things pretty regular but
> most packages do that anyway and a lot of them are marked as stable.
>
> I read somewhere that the reason some of the later versions of portage
> are not stable is not because the new ones are not ready but because
> they want more testing of the old versions.  Not sure why that is tho.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

$PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask:

# Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> (05 Jan 2009)
# Portage 2.2 is masked due to known bugs in the
# package sets and preserve-libs features. See
# bug #253802 for details.
>=sys-apps/portage-2.2_pre

The old message for =sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc1 said something different, like
"to enable further testing of the 2.1.6 series"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com