On Wednesday 22 June 2011 13:05:31 Mick did opine thusly:
> On Wednesday 22 Jun 2011 08:26:54 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > >
> > > I was hitten by this also. Recreating the account "fixed" it
> > > for me, as it did for you. I tried hard to find an
> > > explanation, why this happened, but had no success at all.
> > > If you are more lucky, please post your findings here.
> >
> > Sadly,
> >
> > I have not been able to accomplish anything constructive with
> > kdepim-4.6.0
> >
> > I have concluded that the software is a piece of shit and that
> > the dev team are not able to deliver a useable product to their
> > market.
> >
> > I'm going to look at claws now.
>
> Been through that cycle once already.  :(
>
> I gave up when I realised that I was spending too much time trying
> to make Claws behave like ... Kmail!  O_O
>
> Anyway, I noticed that a KDE machine which is using MySQL as a
> backend for Akonadi is not showing any contacts in its address
> book.  All other boxen use sqlite3 instead and they do not seem to
> have any noticeable problems.
>
> Could this be a MySQL issue?
>
> PS.  All of these PCs run stable KDE.

A while ago I eventually got my contacts back. I forget the actual
cause now, but I strongly suspect it involved tinkering with mysql,
and this may have broken in turn my calendar.

I'm going to do one last test before consigning kdepim to the
trashbin: migrate everything to a new user and start with a default
config. If it works, I can migrate the data at my leisure.

But now, stupid question incoming:

How you you get akonadi to use sqlite as the backend? There's no, erm,
gui tickbox for that.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com