On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:07:04 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

> (As a side note, initramfs introduces not one, but *MANY* additional
> breaking points: the tool used to generate the initramfs might be
> buggy and/or feature-incomplete, the initramfs itself might encounter
> an unrecoverable error, the pivot_root or chroot might snag upon some
> not-so-edge cases, etc.)

I completely agree. But if we take one more step backwards for a wider
view we see something even more bizarre:

I switch on a modern computer and it:

- loads a feature rich OS (UEFI) from a fixed point in firmware which
  then

- loads a feature rich OS (grub2) from a fixed point on a storage
  device which then

- loads a feature rich OS (initrd) from a variable location on a
  storage device which then

- loads the real OS (the thing I actually wanted).

So, let's see now. I need 4 OSes to get one. Wow. If a design engineer
pulled that stunt in almost any other field of technology, he'd be
laughed out of Dodge in a heartbeat.

Methinks someone (many someones) completely lost the plot a long time
ago.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com