On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:44:36PM +0100, pk wrote

> Hm... I also use a radeon (w/ KMS) and needs this binary blob but I
> compile that into the kernel*.
>
> *Device Drivers --->
>       Generic Driver Options --->
>               [*]  Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
>
> If you don't have it compiled in I can see why you would need udev...
>
> Disclaimer: I assume it's not needed in my case - haven't tested though
> but fail to see any technical reason for calling libudev, in this case.

  I also have that.  To test it out, I moved R600_rlc.bin from
/lib/firmware/radeon, and X still comes up. So it has been pulled into
the kernel.

  But wait, whilst screwing around, I noticed that the compile pulls in
every blob in the /lib/firmware/radeon directory...

BARTS_mc.bin    CAYMAN_pfp.bin   JUNIPER_pfp.bin  SUMO2_me.bin
BARTS_me.bin    CAYMAN_rlc.bin   JUNIPER_rlc.bin  SUMO2_pfp.bin
BARTS_pfp.bin   CEDAR_me.bin     PALM_me.bin      SUMO_me.bin
BTC_rlc.bin     CEDAR_pfp.bin    PALM_pfp.bin     SUMO_pfp.bin
CAICOS_mc.bin   CEDAR_rlc.bin    R600_rlc.bin     SUMO_rlc.bin
CAICOS_me.bin   CYPRESS_me.bin   R700_rlc.bin     TURKS_mc.bin
CAICOS_pfp.bin  CYPRESS_pfp.bin  REDWOOD_me.bin   TURKS_me.bin
CAYMAN_mc.bin   CYPRESS_rlc.bin  REDWOOD_pfp.bin  TURKS_pfp.bin
CAYMAN_me.bin   JUNIPER_me.bin   REDWOOD_rlc.bin

  I removed all but R600_rlc.bin (the one the laptop graphics chip
requires) from /lib/firmware/radeon, rebuilt the kernel, and rebooted,
and now X comes up fine without the libudev files.  This is weird.  The
only thing I can think of is...

* with only one binary blob. it "just works"

* multiple blobs should not be included in the kernel, otherwise it gets
  confused.  If multiple blobs are included, there's a fallback
  mechanism that uses udev to figure out exactly which graphics chip the
  laptop has, and which of the built-in blobs to use.

  So my laptop is now entirely udev-free.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>