On 2012-01-09 00:48, Walter Dnes wrote:

Hm... if you didn't compile it in you would have needed an initrd;
didn't think of that... :-(

> * with only one binary blob. it "just works"
>
> * multiple blobs should not be included in the kernel, otherwise it gets
>   confused.  If multiple blobs are included, there's a fallback
>   mechanism that uses udev to figure out exactly which graphics chip the
>   laptop has, and which of the built-in blobs to use.

Well, if udev has the database that connects the blob to the chip then
yes it does sounds likely but still a bit strange... I also have only
one blob (I dislike "waste" so I only put the correct blob in there). :-)

>   So my laptop is now entirely udev-free.

Congratulations! :-D

PS. I will dive into this and test mdev soon-ish (when I can find the time).

Best regards

Peter K