Dale wrote:

> As someone who also takes a LOT of pictures at times, I don't use
> software, I just use directories.  Mine starts out like this:  Camera
> directory > Year > subject matter > image  That works for me.  I used to
> not have the year but that ends up with a LOT of pictures in a
> directory.  Example of mine as it goes to a actual image:
>
> Camera-pics/2012/New Years/2012-01-05-8.JPG
>
> I have been using gtkam to download my pics for years.  Thing is, it has
> a bug up its butt and wants to crash at random times, usually when
> changing the directories.  Anyway, it always crashes before I am done
> and lets just say it gets on my freaking nerves.  So, I tried digikam.
> Well, my camera has multiple directories and for some reason it doesn't
> show them all and then duplicates other images to boot.  I may have 2 or
> 3 copies of the same picture.  I have yet to figure out why that is and
> google, now startpage, has not helped me either.  Maybe I am searching
> for the wrong thing?
>
> If you want software to help manage your images, I'd try digikam.  If it
> works for you and your camera, it should do fine.  If you want to go my
> route, try gtkam and hope like heck it doesn't crash for you too.  Right
> now, both of those get on my nerves for different reasons.
>
> Hope that helps and is clearer than mud.  Maybe someone will come along
> with a better plan for us both too.  lol
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I wanted to add some testing results.  I mentioned I used gtkam and it
was bad to crash.  Well, I experimented a bit and found out this.  If I
disable the gimp USE flag, gtkam doesn't seem to crash.  I tested for
longer than it usually lasts so it may crash again but it lasted through
a lot of clicking without crashing.  It is a good sign at least.  By the
way, gtkam crashed with a segmentation fault.  I have debug turned on
but it doesn't seem to help much.

I may report this to the gtkam folks if it is not to much trouble.  This
has been going on long enough.  BTW, I don't use gtkam within GIMP
anyway.  I only use GIMP after I have downloaded my pics.

At least if you go this way, you have a possible way to get it to not
crash.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!