Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 11:04:47AM -0600, Dale wrote:

>> It is a nice program and I'm pretty sure it allows you to download from
>> your card too.  I'm not sure gtkam will allow downloads from the card so
>> you are likely headed down the right road.
>> Honestly, if digikam worked right with my camera, I'd use it in a heart
>> beat.  I like it but I can't get my pics to show up right.
> ----------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Since your spelling is not always 100% precise ;-) do you really mean "show up
> right", or do you mean "show upright"? The latter is a question of support by
> your camera.

Meant as written, this time.  lol  I think I explained this a bit more
in another post.  My camera has a separate directory for each day.
Digikam doesn't seem to show them correctly.  Some images don't show up
at all and others show up twice or even more than twice.  I think it
looks for just one directory but I'm not sure.

> But why bother with it a special download function in the first place? Most
> cameras support standard USB mass storage protocol, so if you set your camera
> to it and plug it in via USB, it shows up as a normal mass storage device.
> Digikam then recognises the folder structure on it and allows you to download
> the images.
>
> I'm still more old school -- I copy the images over from the card using
> $filemanager and then import them selectively into my digikam collection,
> which allows me to keep it clean more easily.
>
> Digikam is a really great management application. I've been using it since KDE
> 3 times. Its strong points are tagging and organising, and subsequent
> rediscovery by tags and descriptions you assign to a photo. And though I
> myself haven't used it much yet apart from a few select features, it has a
> nice editing program, too.

As I said, digikam is a nice program.  I'm not saying it isn't for sure.
 It is a bit much for me tho since I already have a way of managing my
pics.  I could use digikam but I already have a system that does what it
does without all the fancy stuff.

As to why I use gtkam.  I use it because it renames the pics as it
copies and puts them in sequence. Not only do I sort them by directories
but I also give them names that helps sort them too.  If I just copy
files the camera has, I end up with a lot of files out of order and
possible duplicates and such.

Of course, now I have gtkam working without crashing, so far anyway.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint: