On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 11:04:47AM -0600, Dale wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>
> > Based on this and other posts in the thread, I'll probably give
> > digikam a try. I did want to clarify one point, though: I don't
> > connect the camera to the computer; I put the SD card into a card
> > reader, and copy from there.
> >

> It is a nice program and I'm pretty sure it allows you to download from
> your card too.  I'm not sure gtkam will allow downloads from the card so
> you are likely headed down the right road.
> Honestly, if digikam worked right with my camera, I'd use it in a heart
> beat.  I like it but I can't get my pics to show up right.
----------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since your spelling is not always 100% precise ;-) do you really mean "show up
right", or do you mean "show upright"? The latter is a question of support by
your camera.

But why bother with it a special download function in the first place? Most
cameras support standard USB mass storage protocol, so if you set your camera
to it and plug it in via USB, it shows up as a normal mass storage device.
Digikam then recognises the folder structure on it and allows you to download
the images.

I'm still more old school -- I copy the images over from the card using
$filemanager and then import them selectively into my digikam collection,
which allows me to keep it clean more easily.

Digikam is a really great management application. I've been using it since KDE
3 times. Its strong points are tagging and organising, and subsequent
rediscovery by tags and descriptions you assign to a photo. And though I
myself haven't used it much yet apart from a few select features, it has a
nice editing program, too.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

The situation has never been so serious... as always.