On 2013-12-03 8:19 AM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
Current command I'll be using:

rsync -avHP --numeric-ids /mnt/gentoo/oldusr/ /mnt/gentoo/usr/

Well, that was about as uneventful as it gets...

Took all of 6 minutes (and almost all of that was rsyncing /usr)...

Made a forum post in case anyone else wants to do this and may be a little hesitant like I was...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7457324.html#7457324

Thanks to all who patiently answered my questions...

I now have /usr merged back into / and no longer have to choose between using an intramfs (which I vehemently did not want to do) and updating my system without fear of breakage.

<whew>