On Thu, 22 May 2014 10:30:39 +0100
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> doc flag is at fault here. You have changed other flags, such as
> ipv6, so the advice is to make such sweeping USE flag changes one at
> a time. This often avoids the problem and otherwise makes it easier
> to see.

Point taken, thanks.

> the output you posted is hard to read because your mailer wrapped it
> but it may be that updating sysvinit manually first will clear it.
>
> emerge -1a sysvinit

It did it indeed, so the immediate problem is solved, thanks a lot for
that.

However, I'd be obliged if you could tell me what was wrong and why an
update cleared it? I genuinely don't understand what goes on and I'd be
keen to learn about how Gentoo manages dependencies.

Thanks,

Zoltan