On Thu, 22 May 2014 15:42:09 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> if you run into issues like this, first try something like
>
> emerge -uDNav world
>
> (--update --deep --newuse --ask --verbose; note the "deep")
> (afaik this is the recommended way to update your system anyway)
>
> If this doesnt help, you can try giving portage more time to
> backtrack, add e.g. the following option (warning this may take a
> while):
>
> --backtrack=1000

Thanks, will do that.

Is there a comprehensive manual about portage and the related tools?
I mean one which explains how the whole thing works, what are atoms and
sets and slots and masks; how dependencies work and how the magic USE
keywords get translated to actual configure parameters, so basically
the whole logic behind it? Then, with all that basic knowledge how
emerge et al work on that info and what they actually do?

As a developer probably it's all obvious if not trivial to you, but to
the uninitiated it looks a bit of black magic. I went to the Wiki and
went through the handbook, but I couldn't find anything which explained
the actual concepts and implementation of the whole portage system,
just practical snippets of actual tool usage rather than the
foundations. Any pointers to the relevant literature would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoltan