On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:40:51 +1000, Zoltán Kócsi wrote:

> > the output you posted is hard to read because your mailer wrapped it
> > but it may be that updating sysvinit manually first will clear it.
> >
> > emerge -1a sysvinit
>
> It did it indeed, so the immediate problem is solved, thanks a lot for
> that.
>
> However, I'd be obliged if you could tell me what was wrong and why an
> update cleared it? I genuinely don't understand what goes on and I'd be
> keen to learn about how Gentoo manages dependencies.

To be honest, it was a bit of a guess, because I had so much trouble
parsing the wrapped emerge output. The basic problem is that you have a
package that portage wants to update, but another package wants to keep
it at the same version. This is generally solved by either updating
individual packages manually or unmerging the package causing the
problem and then letting portage pull in the correct versions.

In most cases, portage can now handle these things automatically but
there are time it cannot. This may well have been caused by the various
USE flag changes in your situation. If you make massive changes to your
USE flags after installing from a stage 3, you can often see this sort of
behaviour. The solution is generally to take small steps, change a few
flags at a time.

--
Neil Bothwick

Always be sincere... whether you mean it or not!