Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 29 Jun 2014 05:44:38 Dale wrote:
>>

>> What if I copied data to the drive until it was just about full.  I'm
>> thinking like maybe 90 or 95% or so.  If I do that and run the test
>> every few days, would it then catch a error after a few weeks or so of
>> testing?  I realize no one knows with 100% certainty but I would like to
>> backup my data say every couple weeks just in case.  If the drive works,
>> fine.  If it fails, well, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be
>> a primary drive so no big loss.
>>
>> I got to find me a good drive for backups tho.  I'm waiting on a good
>> sale of a brand other than Seagate tho.  That should help keep two
>> drives from failing at the same time.  Well, a little anyway.  I think
>> it is called Dale's Law now.  ;-)
>
> I'm not sure what it is called, but it seems infectious!  I have a
drive (in a
> laptop) which I recently zeroed out with dd and fsck -c for good measure,
> before I installed gentoo on it.  Yesterday, I tried a long test, but
it won't
> complete.  It reached "10% remaining" and it stayed there for a few
hours.  I
> will repeat the test to see if it gets through this time, but I am
worried
> that it's on its way out.
>
> Oh well, I may install an SSD if it fails.

That's seems to be normal at least for me.  Mine has certain percentages
that it just seems to sit at for a good while.  It eventually passes the
test tho.  Just leave it overnight and check it the next morning or
something.  I know laptops are different but got to do what you got to
do.  Maybe pluging it into a desktop or something would help.

Dale

:-)  :-)