On 25/06/2014 17:30, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:55 AM, thegeezer <thegee...@thegeezer.net> wrote:
>>> On 06/25/2014 11:05 AM, Dale wrote:
>>>

>>> I got a drive picked out at Newegg.  $$$$$$$$
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844
>>>

>>> slightly offtopic - i notice that the drive has a 2year limited warranty
>>>
>>> has anyone managed to get anything from hard drive warranties ?
>>
>> Yes.  Most manufacturers have a hard drive warranty tool online.  Just
>> give it your serial number and it will tell you if you're eligible,
>> and how to go about it.  I know Seagate wants you to run their own
>> testing util (which just does a SMART test and spits out a validation
>> code which you write down).
>>
>> I've gotten the same sorts of errors several times now on my RAID and
>> when it happens I just go through the warranty process, select advance
>> replacement, swap out the drive, then return the old drive in their
>> packaging.
>>
>> Typically costs me $10 for HD replacement (I have to pay return shipping
>> only).
>>
>> Typically drives tend to die for me about a year after I buy them -
>> alarmingly often, actually.  Anybody who doesn't run smartmon or its
>> equivalent is insane, as is anybody who doesn't at least run RAID,
>> though anything valuable should be backed up.
>
> Is it not  true that you cannot run raid on consumer drives because of
> timing errors?

That sounds like something EMC and WD/Seagate would say.

There's no reason in the world not to use consumer drives for RAID -
unless you plan to add the drives to those obscenely expensive full-rack
SAN jobs vendors want folk to buy.

The reason consumer drives tend not to work in those arrays has nothing
to do with the performance of the drive itself. The manufacturers flip a
bit in the firmware and without that signature the array hardware often
will not use the drive. It often really is as simple as that.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com