On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:44 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if I copied data to the drive until it was just about full.  I'm
> thinking like maybe 90 or 95% or so.  If I do that and run the test
> every few days, would it then catch a error after a few weeks or so of
> testing?  I realize no one knows with 100% certainty...

As you already said, nobody knows with 100% certainty.

In the failures I've experienced I'd expect it to start catching
errors within a few days.  However, on those drives the relocated
sector count never increases, which suggests that the firmware never
relocated those sectors when overwritten, which seems brain-dead to
me.

If the drive relocates the sectors, then conceivably it could go quite
a long time until having errors, probably in an entirely different set
of sectors.

Even if it doesn't relocate, the reliability of the bad sectors could
be high or low.

Rich