Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I run this test every once in a while.  How bad is this:
>
> root@fireball / # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdc
> smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [x86_64-linux-3.14.0-gentoo] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
> 16365         2905482560
> # 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
> 16352         2905482560
> # 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
> 8044         -
> # 4  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
> 3121         -
>
> And better yet, is there any way to tell it to not use that part and
> finish the test?  It seems it stopped when it got to that, or I think it
> did.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

OK.  Update.  I got the new drive in, copied the files over, tested the
new drive A LOT, then did a dd on the old drive and wiped the WHOLE
thing.  I let dd run until it ran out of space and died, which took a
pretty good while.  After dd finished, I ran the Smart test again.  This
is what I get now:

root@fireball / # smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdd
smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [x86_64-linux-3.14.0-gentoo] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
16466         -
# 2  Extended offline    Aborted by host               90%
16461         -
# 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
16451         2905482560
# 4  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
16432         2905482560
# 5  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       60%
16427         2905482560

Ignore the second one, I started the test on the old drive and was
meaning to do it on the new drive.  When dd finished, I wanted to start
a fresh test so I killed the second one.  As you can see in the latest
test, no errors.

So, thoughts?  Did it mark that part as bad and all is well or is this
going to be trouble down the line?  Should I just fill the thing up with
data and test the stuffin out of it to make sure?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)