On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 23.12.2014 um 21:40 schrieb Rich Freeman:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> got my first two demo nodes up and in-sync ... what a success ;-)
>>
>> I started to look into ceph, and my biggest issue is that they don't
>> protect against silent corruption. They do checksum data during
>> transit, but not at rest.  That means that you could end up with 3
>> different copies of a file and no way to know which one is the right
>> one.  Simply storing the data on btrfs isn't enough - that will
>> protect against files changing on the disk itself, but you could STILL
>> end up with 3 different copies of a file on different nodes and no way
>> to know which one is right, if the error happens at a higher level
>> than the btrfs filesystem/disk.
>
> but ...  oh my. *sigh*
>
> I assume the devs there have a clever answer to this as well?
>
> At least for the future ... now that btrfs is declared stable at least
> for the more trivial setups (read: not RAID5/6) by Chris Mason himself
> ... btrfs should be usable for ceph-OSDs soon.

Proclamations of stability do not stable make.  :)  I'm using btrfs
now, but I've had my share of headaches (especially with the 3.15/16
kernels).  I think the rate of change/regressions is a good long-term
sign, but I'd stick to longterm kernels if you use it (which is
different advice than I used to give).

> In the other direction: what protects against these errors you mention?

If I had a solution I'd be using it.  I don't use ceph.  Btrfs
protects against them just fine for a single system.  The problem with
ceph is cross-node consistency.

--
Rich