Thanks, but I won't be able to do that within the space confines of the
partitions available to me on the new machine.  They are all smaller
than the complete uncompressed /usr directory.  To have access to my old
box which has plenty of space to do that, I will have to wait until I
get back home in a couple of days.  I was just looking for a clever way
to do it all in the circumstances described.
--
Regards,
Mick