On Tuesday 02 May 2006 09:34 am, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Farhan Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If you wish to have latest packages, change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", it
> > might make your system a bit unstable but going through my experience it
> > has not broken a thing in my system.
>
> And I recommend that you do *not* set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 unless you
> are prepared for the consequences.

WHAT CONSEQUENCES!?

I've asked on multiple occassions for a comparison to a Debian paradigm.  My
first distro was Debian.  So a comparison to Debian would do me a world of
good.

> It is very much a testing environment, where either the ebuild or the
> package itself might not be completely stable, or worse, incompatible
> with previous configuration files or other packages on your system.
> Baselayout and udev have been particularly 'dangerous' on ~x86
> recently.
>
> Additionally, ~x86 updates more frequently than x86, so you will have
> much more downloading and compiling to do at each update.

Yeah, I think I'll avoid that until I have a distcc network running!
Compiling on my poor laptop takes *forever!*

> Yes ~x86 does work most of the time, and the Gentoo devs are extremely
> good at fixing problems quickly.  But it can be expected to break
> occasionally, and you need to know what do when it does.

Mean time to failure?

> If you want ~x86 for specific packages, use /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Okay.