On 06/05/06, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

24x7.  I am not sure if this is messing it up or not.  It seems to stay
pretty warm.  I bought an extra 1GB of mem for the laptop and put that
in today after the first lockup.  I ran memtest for about 10 minutes and
didn't see any issues.

Laptops generally get warm/hot to the touch.  What sort of
temperatures does it show?

memetest should run overnight to get a reliable result.  I remember
reading either in this list or in the Gentoo forums why memtest is not
the best test for memory integrity.  There's a script somewhere which
will also put your memory controller under some pressure.  I'll post
back if I can find it.

Momentarily getting back the display image that was cached indicates
that your swap was not flushed, which is probably more related to the
fact that the machine crashed rather than shut down gracefully.

If as you say your video card is sharing the system memory and the
memory is suspect, then that would explain why you are getting all
these video display problems.  Does reverting back to the old memory
chip improve matters?

Some laptops (and desktops for that matter) do not take kindly to
mixing and matching memory chips.  If your memory upgrade was not
sympathetic to the laptop's idiosyncracies the problems you describe
are typical.
--
Regards,
Mick