On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about '[gentoo-user]  Re: Finer grained kde*-meta packages':
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The "ppp" flag is already "known" to portage.
>
> --($:~/tmp)-- euses -i ppp
> net-dialup/capi4k-utils:pppd - Installs pppdcapiplugin modules

That's "pppd", not "ppp"

> But maybe "dialup" might be good. But that's details.

Yes, much easier to understand.

> >> I mean, what's the advantage of the kde*-meta packages over the kde
> >> package, when the kde*-meta require just as much "junk", as the
> >> kde package does? Hm, really, what's the use of the kde*-meta package
> >> anyway?
> >
> > The kde-meta package is meant to replace the kde package.  The is no
> > advantage (and without a workable confcache, at least one
> > disadvantage) to running split ebuilds.  The advantage of split ebilds
> > is that you have the choice to install only the kde applications you
> > want, by using the individual ebaulds, without dragging in all of kde
> > (which is what "old" style kde packages pulled in as a dependency.)
>
> But with using the kde*-meta package, this advantage doesn't
> exist.

Right, because kde*-meta is supposed to replace, and act as much as
possible like the monolithic kde* package.  If you don't want all of
kdenetwork you don't install kdenetwork-meta, you install individual
applications from kdenetwork.

Of course, any USE flags available on the old monolithic packages, as well
as any use configure options from upstream, should be exposed.

> > Are the monolithic ebuilds still available?
>
> Yes. Eg. kdemultimedia-3.5.7.ebuild
>
> > They need to be purged from
> > the tree ASAP.
>
> Have phun with bugzilla :)
>
> Or where should something like this actually be brought
> up?

Probably the developer list, I'm sure someone from the kde herd would hear
you there.

> > -
>
> Your signature is delimited in a wrong way.

Odd, I must have accidentally cut one of the -s.  Kmail properly uses "--
\n" as this message and my first in the thread can attest.  It does let
you edit you signature and the separator, and I must have mistakenly taken
advantage of that.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))