On 19 Mar 2008, at 13:41, Grant wrote:

A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore.  I was hoping it was
the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
problem.  Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?

Hi there,

I work on PCs for a living, mostly peoples' home computers, and in the case of a "dead pc" the cause is nearly as often something else as it is a dead PSU.

Causes such as a duff CD-ROM drive or a damaged USB connector are surprising but not uncommon, so reset the BIOS (using the method described by Volker) and if that doesn't work unplug as much as possible from the motherboard - you'll surely need the CPU & RAM for it to post, but you may wish to swap out the RAM at some point in your diagnostics - and unplug most everything else. That means drives, PCI cards, USB devices, stuff connected to the USB & serial headers, graphics card if possible. Also don't connect the power supply to any of the drives, or anything else that you're not currently using.

I've seen cheap power supplies take out the motherboard when they go. Sorry if you find that to be the case.

Stroller.