>  > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore.  I was hoping it was
>  > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
>  > problem.  Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
>  > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
>
>  Hi there,
>
>  I work on PCs for a living, mostly peoples' home computers, and in
>  the case of a "dead pc" the cause is nearly as often something else
>  as it is a dead PSU.
>
>  Causes such as a duff CD-ROM drive or a damaged USB connector are
>  surprising but not uncommon, so reset the BIOS (using the  method
>  described by Volker) and if that doesn't work unplug as much as
>  possible from the motherboard - you'll surely need the CPU & RAM for
>  it to post, but you may wish to swap out the RAM at some point in
>  your diagnostics - and unplug most everything else. That means
>  drives, PCI cards, USB devices, stuff connected to the USB & serial
>  headers, graphics card if possible. Also don't connect the power
>  supply to any of the drives, or anything else that you're not
>  currently using.
>
>  I've seen cheap power supplies take out the motherboard when they go.
>  Sorry if you find that to be the case.

I removed everything from the motherboard and even tried another CPU
that used to run on that same motherboard.  No luck.  I can't test the
power supply in my P3 router because the CPU power plug is different.

I should have said before that every couple times I try to turn it on,
the CPU fan spins about 2% of a full rotation and some of the LEDs
along the back light up for a second.

Would you guys say it is most likely the motherboard at this point?

- Grant