>  >>>>  > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore.  I was hoping it was
>  >>>>  > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
>  >>>>  > problem.  Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
>  >>>>  > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
>  >>>>

>  As strange as this may sound, we had a server go down and we thought
>  psu/mb. it turned out to be the cmos battery. We replaced it (about four
>  years ago), the server has been flawless since.

Different motherboards must exhibit different behavior with a bad CMOS
battery.  Another desktop of mine prints an error to the POST screen
about its bad battery.  There is a comment here from another owner of
my MSI motherboard:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127597/show_product_reviews

"This is a great board too, except i got an error each boot-turns out
the battery was dead, swapped it and it was ok"

It sounds like my motherboard should still boot with a bad battery.

- Grant