On 2008-07-15, Michael Pobega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Maybe one can compare it with a simple remote filesystem.
>>
>> With a few database features thrown in.
>>
>> With IMAP, you can create folders on the server and leave all
>> your mail there.  That way you can get to it with any IMAP
>> client on any machine.  Most ISPs (and Gmail) offer web access
>> as well.
>
> One problem I find is that switching from folder to folder
> takes a long time ... Sometimes the cache saves, but other
> times it needs to reread all 54,000 emails, and that takes
> quite a while. Is there a better method of accessing my
> folders to speed this up?

You've got 54000 emails in a single folder?  Yikes.  I can't
imagine that's going to be very fast even with local mail
storage.  I use IMAP servers that have folders with a couple
thousand messages -- that can take a second or two.  Most MUAs
have a header-caching scheme that should prevent it from having
to fetch all of the headers (let along read all the emails)
when you change folders.  I have noticed that sometimes mutt
re-scans the headers when I change to a folder, but I don't
know what triggers that (it doesn't seem to happen regularly).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'd like some JUNK
                                  at               FOOD ... and then I want to