On 15 Jul 2008, at 16:43, Michael Pobega wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:00:22AM -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
"James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, July 15, 2008 9:05 am, Michael Pobega wrote:
I've always had just one laptop so I've been a POP user for years
now, but I'm finally buying a second laptop for travels (Asus Eee
PC) and I was wondering what gentoo-user would recommend as a good
way to keep the mail synced on both of my machines.

IMAP++

Can I use procmail with IMAP or is that not possible?

That's perfectly possible, but only if you run your own IMAP server.

I started using IMAP before the advent of Gmail, so this is what I do (although I use maildrop rather than procmail). You can use fetchmail to get your mail from a POP3 provider and use the "mda" directive in .fetchmailrc; alternatively if you have your own FQDN then you set up an MX record and have the server listen on port 25 for incoming SMTP. The messages are stored in a maildir on your server and then your laptop & desktop machines connect to that, seeing the same folder view that procmail feeds into.

If you just want to use your single Gmail address and rely on them to host IMAP for you then you're probably best off "porting" your procmail rules to Gmail's web-based filter setup. When you connect via IMAP you'll see whatever folders are set up in Gmail and messages will be already filtered into them by those rules.

Stroller.