On Donnerstag 01 Januar 2009, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 01/01/09 Volker Armin Hemmann said:
> > after the emerge you read the messages with elogv and downgrade. No harm
> > done.
>
> I'll be sure to try that, thank you. However, would not avoiding a bad
> upgrade in the first place be a better-behaved tool? Especially when the
> package in question "knew" that it was likely incompatible?
>
> I'm not saying that this could not be avoided with more work, I'm saying
> that I shouldn't have to if the tools were better behaved.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

how should 'the tool' know what card you are using? and even if portage could
parse lspci output - why make it slower and more easily to break if all
breakage can be avoided by simply reading first - then upgrading? Do you
always install the latest drivers without reading up on them first?
Nvidia's 'deprecation' strategy is a pain in the ass and they are doing it for
a long time now. So this time it bit you. Next time it will be 6XXX card
users, then 7XXX card users and so on. That is why you have to go to nvnews
first and then upgrade. Not the other way round.