On 01/01/09 Alan McKinnon said:

> The software does not have the slightest vaguest foggiest concept of what the
> RIGHT and the WRONG drivers are. That's a human being's conclusion.

Apparently it did, hence the warning.

> It therefore cannot decide.

It did decide. It decided to continue.

> The devs therefore correctly decided to not even try and decide.
>
> Unix-like systems demand that the user actually has a clue, is more than a
> mere automatonic moron, can and does read information and can and does really
> make decisions. And is prepared to live with the results.

Orthogonal to the discussion. You are blaming users for laziness in the system
that could have made it easier to notice a potential problem.

> Some Unix people try to get all politically correct and hide this fundamental
> fact, but that is just plain wrong. It will never work any other way than how
> it is working right now.

Justification by tradition won't help anyone here. I see nothing in this post
but inflammatory, flawed logic.

> Users that are not prepared to actually think about what they are doing
> should
> switch back to Windows. That system specializes in treating their customers
> like complete idiots.

Like this statement.

I see many posts like this but few suggestions as to how the problem could
have been avoided ahead of time. I saw one suggestion of how to roll the
driver back after the fact, which I did, after it was already broken.

Does anyone have any rational arguments to support the system not stopping due
to the warning, or is this all I can expect?

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein