On Thursday 01 January 2009 11:02:23 Dale wrote:
> I just did a reinstall on my rig and it did the exact same thing.  I had
> to mask the one it installed and re-emerge the older one that does
> work.  Isn't there some way for it to pick the right one?  After all, it
> new it was the WRONG one it was installing.  Looks to me like it could
> pick the right one.

The software does not have the slightest vaguest foggiest concept of what the
RIGHT and the WRONG drivers are. That's a human being's conclusion.

It therefore cannot decide.
The devs therefore correctly decided to not even try and decide.

Unix-like systems demand that the user actually has a clue, is more than a
mere automatonic moron, can and does read information and can and does really
make decisions. And is prepared to live with the results.

Some Unix people try to get all politically correct and hide this fundamental
fact, but that is just plain wrong. It will never work any other way than how
it is working right now.

Users that are not prepared to actually think about what they are doing should
switch back to Windows. That system specializes in treating their customers
like complete idiots.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com