Volker Armin Hemmann ha scritto:
> On Donnerstag 01 Januar 2009, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>> On 01/01/09 Volker Armin Hemmann said:
>>> after the emerge you read the messages with elogv and downgrade. No harm
>>> done.
>> I'll be sure to try that, thank you. However, would not avoiding a bad
>> upgrade in the first place be a better-behaved tool? Especially when the
>> package in question "knew" that it was likely incompatible?
>>
>> I'm not saying that this could not be avoided with more work, I'm saying
>> that I shouldn't have to if the tools were better behaved.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike
>
> how should 'the tool' know what card you are using?

The tool knew -in fact it told him of the breakage , *after* doing it.

> and even if portage could
> parse lspci output - why make it slower and more easily to break if all
> breakage can be avoided by simply reading first - then upgrading?

If you don't know there's something to read...

> Do you
> always install the latest drivers without reading up on them first?

Usually, yes. Could be my fault, but am I expected to read technical
docs everytime I update a package?
Anyway, the system *knows* that there's a problem, so your point is
moot. The only thing we're asking is to warn and stop *before* and not
*after*.

> Nvidia's 'deprecation' strategy is a pain in the ass and they are doing it
> for
> a long time now. So this time it bit you. Next time it will be 6XXX card
> users, then 7XXX card users and so on. That is why you have to go to nvnews
> first and then upgrade. Not the other way round.

Thanks for advice.

m.