Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> So, like a good gentoo user I'm emerging some updates available for my system.
>
> To my surprise when I happen to look at the screen (as it's taking some time
> to build and I'm obviously not watching the entire time), I see this:
>

>  * ***** WARNING *****
>  *
>  * You are currently installing a version of nvidia-drivers that is
>  * known not to work with a video card you have installed on your
>  * system. If this is intentional, please ignore this. If it is not
>  * please perform the following steps:
>  *
>  * Add the following mask entry to /etc/portage/package.mask by
>  * echo ">=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.0.0" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
>  *
>  * Failure to perform the steps above could result in a non-working
>  * X setup.
>  *
>  * For more information please read:
>  * http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
>  * You must be in the video group to use the NVIDIA device
>  * For more info, read the docs at
>  * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml#doc_chap3_sect6
>  *
>  * This ebuild installs a kernel module and X driver. Both must
>  * match explicitly in their version. This means, if you restart
>  * X, you most modprobe -r nvidia before starting it back up
>  *
>  * To use the NVIDIA GLX, run "eselect opengl set nvidia"
>  *
>  * nVidia has requested that any bug reports submitted have the
>  * output of /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh included.
>  *
>  * To work with compiz, you must enable the AddARGBGLXVisuals option.
>  *
>  * If you are having resolution problems, try disabling DynamicTwinView.
>
> Sure enough, X no longer works. I'm following the instructions now, but...
> Don't you think the default action here should be to do nothing instead of
> breaking my system?
>
> Not impressed. Hopefully this critical message would be summarized at the end
> of the build too. Kind of important. I got lucky and happened to see it...
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I just did a reinstall on my rig and it did the exact same thing.  I had
to mask the one it installed and re-emerge the older one that does
work.  Isn't there some way for it to pick the right one?  After all, it
new it was the WRONG one it was installing.  Looks to me like it could
pick the right one.

Dale

:-)  :-)